Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thank God for Publix!

A friend of mind keep suggesting using Publix for their floral dept. for the wedding flowers. We already planned to use Publix for our cake [which reminds me our cake testing is TODAY!], so we gave it a shot.

The Florist was AMAZING! A total ANGEL. She sat down with us for about an hour and wrote down everything I wanted, down to the last detail. We budgeted about $1000 for flowers. But when she stepped away to total up the cost, she came back with a piece of paper with $260.00 written on it.

My eyes just started tearing up, and I asked her if she was being serious.

This was no joke! ALL of my wedding flowers for under $300! It's like a dream! That includes the bridal bouquet, 3 bridesmaids bouquets, 8 boutoneeires, 3 corsages, a throw away bouquet, AND 2 HUGE buckets of petals! I mean, you seriously can't beat it. So we're definatly going with that florist to do our flowers.

We HAVE opted to switch our centerpieces to the Tree idea! We are using REAL tree branches. Yep, REAL. Ironically, before we even told anyone about this idea, my father in law called Jon and said, "Hey, you know that big tree in the front yard? Could you help me cut it down next week?" Well OF COURSE! So we're using thebranches from this tree for our wedding reception, as crazy as it sounds. The hanging votives will run us about $200.00. So it's nice to have REAL branches. I just hope they hold up for a year! I read some tutorials on preserving tree branches. One site mentioned using Shallac (???) on them to preserve them. It's apparantly used on patios/decks to keep the wood protected. So we're probably going to try that and see how it works. FINGERS CROSSED! I found a few other photos to show you guys the idea we're shooting for, so here you go!



[ours will have candles hanging from them]




We may hot glue some silk red rose petals to the tree. We're sprinkling fresh petals on each reception table, so it will give the effect that the petals fell from the tree. We like the idea because [besides it capturing the eye, and being very unique!] it gives a great feeling to the season of autumn, as our wedding is in October. It suits us, we think.

Our schedules didn't seem to coordinate with the designer at the bakery, so she put together a cake testing plate for us to take home. I'm going to pick it up when Chayce wakes up. I'll post later tonight or tomorrow with pics of the yummy cake and our decisions!