Monday, May 18, 2009

Out of Patience with Reese.



She's 6 months old now, and we've worked VERY hard with her. She's a good dog. She knows the commands: Sit, stay, heel and speak. She knows not to jump onto the furniture.

HOWEVER, once our doorbell rings and other people come to our home, all of the good behavior that's instilled in her goes out the window. She turns into a totally different dog.

She hops onto her back legs and starts scratching our friends' legs, she jumps on the couch, she starts shaking and jumping like she's never been pet a day in her life. WE've tried everything from ignoring her behavior, to holding her and not letting her down until she calms down (she'd calm down but as soon as we put her down she'd do it all over again), we even brought her kennel into the living room and we'd wait for her to calm down, THEN let her out (which AGAIN resulted in the same obnoxious behavior as soon as we let her out).

Last night our friends were over, and I held her until she was calm and when I put her down she jumped onto the couch and a friend of mine was eating... so dove right into the plate and the food went everywhere. I felt so embarrassed.

We don't know what else to do. We can't let her out when other people come over. And it's sad!

I seriously need help. I don't think obedience training would help Reese at all. And I'm not about to drop $100 on it for it not to work. Id' much rather teach her myself.

**UPDATE: Someone with a Yorkie gave me a GREAT helpful tip today, let's hope it works!**